Located on the Culpeper County side of the Rappahannock River in Elkwood, Virginia, the Quail Haven
Farm contains 2 separate tax parcels comprising 219.06 acres of land. The property contains frontage
on Kelly’s Ford Road (State Route 674) along its southern boundary, the Rappahannock River along its
northern boundary, adjacent farm and forest land to the west, and residential land to the east. The
property is currently used for residential, agricultural, and forestal purposes. Access to the property is
made via a gravel and dirt drive winding from its intersection with Kelly’s Ford Road north along the
western edge of the property. The property is comprised of fairly level farmland with large sections of broad, cultivated open fields that gently ascend toward a rise above the Rappahannock River. Approximately 90 acres of land on the property are cultivated for agricultural crop production through a lease agreement with an adjacent landowner. Of these, roughly 70 acres are cultivated for sods of various species and Bermuda grass. Other crops previously cultivated on the property include barley, wheat, and corn. Approximately 123 acres are in wooded cover, and managed according to a Forest
Stewardship Plan. One manmade pond, previously used for cattle watering, is located at the central west property boundary. Two non-historic residential dwellings are located on the property. One, known as the “Hite House” is located at the central western section of the property, while the “River Cottage” with adjacent detached servant’s quarters, is located on the rise adjacent to the Rappahannock River. The ruins of an antebellum dwelling known as the “Wheatley House”, along with the ruins of an associated outbuilding and stone walls partially surrounding the original rear garden, are also located on the Quail Haven Farm property.
Quail Haven Farm contains significant battlefield, historic, archaeological, agricultural, forestal, openspace, natural, and water-quality values, all of which are protected under the terms of a conservation easement. The land has historical significance as being a Civil War battlefield. The Property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its role in three Civil War battles: the March 1863 Battle of Kelly’s Ford, June 1863 Battle of Brandy Station, and the November 7, 1863 Second Battle of Rappahannock Station.
copyright 2012-2020 by Gayle Harvey Real Estate, Inc.
Gayle Harvey Real Estate, Inc.
198 Spotnap Rd. Ste C5
Charlottesville, Virginia 22911
All information deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the IDX Program of Charlottesville Area Association of Realtors. Listing broker has attempted to offer accurate data, but buyers are advised to confirm all items. Any use of search facilities of data on this site other than by a consumer interested in the purchase of real estate, is prohibited.
Gayle Harvey Real Estate, Inc. is a Charlottesville Va real estate broker that strictly abides by the U.S. and Virginia Fair Housing laws.