Charlottesville Antique Stores

Charlottesville Antique Stores:

Making History Part of Your Home


In a part of the country steeped in history, it’s no wonder that Virginia has an abundance of antique stores. The Charlottesville/Albemarle area in particular offers a vast enough range to accommodate varying styles and Charlottesville Antiques tastes, from finely curated galleries to eclectic collections and antique malls that offer a mash-up of numerous vendors. You can easily find antique furnishings and vintage items to incorporate history into your newly purchased home, even as you yourself become a part of the region’s history in choosing to reside here. Whether you’re looking for a locally crafted and restored farm table, or imported antique Venetian glass, or an 18th century French settee, you have ample antique retailers and knowledgeable experts in the business to choose from. Here is just a sampling of the many antique stores in the Charlottesville/Albemarle area.


Circa (

Charlottesville Antiques at CircaOccupying a large corner of McIntire Plaza in Charlottesville, Circa offers 10,000 square feet of antiques and furniture. Whether you’re looking for an old farm table, an elegant sofa with carved wooden feet, a salvaged mantelpiece, or teal-tinted mason jars for bouquets of cut flowers, you can find countless objects with a history to complement your new home. Owned and operated by a mother and daughter team, all staff members are trained as buyers so there is an eclectic range of items to choose from, including vintage pieces, original artwork, and funky decor. They also do their very best to price affordably so there is no need to haggle. And, perhaps most exciting of all, they can deliver (for a fee)!


The Consignment House (

Located on Charlottesville’s downtown mall on the corner of 2nd Street NW, across from the Downtown Grille, The Consignment House is a fun place to stop in when you’re out for a stroll. Their large window displays entice customers with unique sculptures, pastoral paintings, and modern seating. Once inside, you’ll see that their inventory includes a wide selection of furniture from the 18th century to mid-century modern, in addition to jewelry, antique telephones, fine artwork, oriental rugs, and art glass from Finland, Scandinavia, and the Venetian island of Murano. As it is a consignment house, after all, you can also sell items there and receive 60% of the final selling price.


Oyster House Antiques (

Charlottesville Antiques           Also on the downtown mall, next door to The Fitzroy and across from Wells Fargo, Siddhattha Buddha statues sit in windows and colorful paper lanterns rest on outdoor tables, inviting you into Oyster House Antiques to explore a visual history of China. Here, eastern antiques inspire creative uses in modern western households. For instance, an old wardrobe with ornate doors can be repurposed as a media cabinet. In addition to the downtown location, you can find their warehouse, which is open on weekends, across from Bodo’s on Preston Avenue.


The Habitat Store (

Not far from Circa in Charlottesville is The Habitat Store, a great source for affordable secondhand items, perhaps especially if you have plans to renovate your recently purchased house in the Charlottesville area. Their inventory includes windows, doors, doorknobs, light fixtures, appliances, and furniture, and they also happen to be the recipient of brand new, high quality donations such as tile flooring, laminate flooring, and rugs, all sold at an affordable price.


Patina Antiques (

Patina Antiques on East High Street in Charlottesville, a half mile from the downtown pedestrian mall, takes pride in its eclectic collection of old and new where you can find antiques as well as funky and functional pieces. They have a saying about their store: “Some things 19th century, some things $19.” But the idea that brings cohesion to the place is that both time and ownership affect and alter the history of an object, giving it a value all its own. They are happy to help, whether you’re browsing or on the hunt for a particular item, and are open Monday through Saturday.


Kenny Ball Antiques (

Offering more upscale, imported French, English, and Italian antiques from the 18th and 19th centuries, Kenny Ball Antiques is located in Charlottesville’s Ivy Road shopping center, near Foods of All Nations. They also can accommodate interior design assistance at an hourly rate.


The Curious Orange Store (

Antique dealer and designer Roderick Coles specializes in European antiques, which you can view by appointment only in his Curious Orange Store located on Ivy Road across from the Boar’s Head Inn. Among his collection are vintage and modern home décor and furnishings. Items can also be purchased online.


Rockfish Gap Country Store (

Past Crozet and just outside Afton on 250 west, you’ll find Rockfish Gap Country Store to be a charming stop on your country drive. The wide white building with a red roof was originally constructed in the 1930s to provide a packing shed and market for local fruit farmers, and is easy to spot from the road. And while it does offer some things you would expect to find in a Virginia country store, such as local wines, cheese, jellies, handmade soap, and candy—and even has a Christmas Room with ornaments and decorations—it also provides a storefront for 25 antique vendors to display their furniture, glassware, vintage Americana, and jewelry.


The Covesville Store (

Just 15 minutes from Charlottesville, a peaceful drive down 29 south, is The Covesville Store. Housed in a beautiful old yellow building with a double porch, it is packed with a variety of antiques, which the owners, Sarah and Rick Ovenshire, also showcase on their website. There is plenty of ground to cover and lots to see, from shelves lined with candlesticks, sculptures, and knickknacks, to antique washstands and handmade dressers. The Ovenshires are very knowledgeable and will be able to tell you the history of any item that catches your eye.


Tuckahoe Antiques (

Near Wintergreen Resort, on Route 151, Tuckahoe Antiques provides two floors and 10,000 square feet of antiques from many different dealers all under one roof in a building that was originally an apple shed. Whether you’re looking for original artwork, local antique furniture, or Southern-inspired décor, you can enjoy many browsing hours here taking in all there is to see.


Shabby Love (

When it comes to restoring antiques, Shabby Love in downtown Orange does the work for you! Their shop features upcycled unique finds previously in need of tender loving care, such as a vintage vanity, bedside tables, and reupholstered wingback chairs. Their prices tend to be higher than Circa but account for the work the Shabby Love team has put into restoration. Their Orange storefront is open Thursday through Sunday, while their Roanoke location is open seven days a week.


Melrose Antiques & Fine Interiors (

Centrally located in the town of Orange, this 12,000 square foot gallery space features 18th and 19th century furniture and oriental rugs bought and sold by owners Joseph and Gale Danos, who have over thirty years’ experience. Whether you’re looking for a well-preserved dining table, a leather armchair, unique lamps, fine artworks, or oriental rugs of all shapes and sizes, there is much to see at Melrose Antiques & Fine Interiors.


Gordonsville Antiques and Flea Market (

Housed in a long and low white building, Gordonsville Antiques and Flea Market contains the finds of 20 different vendors. From an animal print loveseat to porcelain busts and bookends to a vintage icebox and wooden crates, the style of the vendors varies from rustic to regal!


Ruckersville Gallery (

This antique mall with over 80 dealers and 150 consignors in a 50,000 square foot showroom is known as Virginia’s leader in estate sales and employs a buyer with almost 40 years of experience in the business. You will want to set aside plenty of time to amble through their extensive collection located on 29 North, next to the Blue Ridge Café.

A & W Collectibles (

Antique Shops in Charlottesville VA          Located in Keswick, six miles east of Charlottesville, A & W Collectibles is a collection of over twenty different vendors with a unique inventory that is frequently in flux. Their current inventory includes clocks, dishware, collectible dolls, vintage hats, antique furniture, and much more.

As you can see, there are ample aisles of antiques for you to peruse, foraging for the perfect furnishings and accessories to complement your new home, instilling it with your personal taste as well as a sense of history. No matter your style or interests—be it estate sales, imported antiques in boutique curated collections, vintage Americana and collectibles, bargain-hunting or simply the idea of happening upon something unique that speaks to you and will make your home distinct—the Charlottesville/Albemarle area has a lot to offer.

Dave Matthews Band Turns 25, Returns to Charlottesville

Other than Thomas Jefferson, it’s tough to think of a name more synonymous with the spirit of Charlottesville than Dave Matthews. Once a bartender at the city’s most prestigious dive bar, Dave (we’re clearly on a first name basis here) and his band of Cville locals rose to unexpected heights of fame, selling out arenas worldwide and earning two Grammy Awards for his anthemic vocal performances. Many of the guys in Dave’s band got their starts here…keyboardist Butch Taylor plays John D’earth’s weekly gig at Millers, the same bar where Dave worked and where saxophonist LeRoi Moore played before DMB had even started. On May 11, 1991, the Dave Matthews Band (DMB) played its first show. Now, 25 years later on May 7, they will return to town, playing an anniversary show at John Paul Jones Arena.

Matthews is known and celebrated in this town for more than just his music. In 1999, he bought 10 acres of land in Albemarle County, and his Blenheim Vineyards wine is a testament to not only the viticultural potential of land in the Piedmont region, but also his commitment to preservation and conservation. When the band hit it big, they gave back…they’ve donated an estimated $40 million to grants and charity in the Ville (and elsewhere) through the Bama Works Fund, administered by the Charlottesville Area Community Foundation. So it should come as no surprise that the proceeds from May’s show (an estimated $1 million) will go to charity. Face it, when it comes to Charlottesville heroes, Dave is starting to make even TJ look like a normal guy. In honor of the many gifts given, hearts won, and shows to come, we’ve picked out a couple of our favorite classic DMB songs. He’ll doubtlessly play some of these at the May 7 show at John Paul Jones Arena.

“Don’t Drink the Water”

The first single off of Before These Crowded Streets, “Don’t Drink the Water” opens with a murky, sludgy kind of bass groove, fleshed out by a frothing, bubbling banjo rhythm courtesy of Bela Fleck. Dave’s lead vocal is supplemented by the wailing cries of Alanis Morissette; together the two reach a fever pitch. Lyrics like “No room for both, just room for me” reflect Dave’s social consciousness. The song is about South African apartheid and the subjugation of Native Americans.


#41 begins with a light, hip drum groove, heavily syncopated. The tune is a testament to Dave’s trademark style; drifting purposely through a myriad of rock landscapes. The subtle grooves of the intro merge and mesh into an open, unrestrained instrumental space, with violin, flute and sax solos over a deep pocket groove.

“Ants Marching”

This is a contender for most famous DMB song. It’s both a tribute to and a repudiation of what some affectionately call “the daily grind.” A musical celebration and a lyric denouement. It’s a song about getting up in the morning and doing the same darn thing you did the day before, an earnest, from-the-heart reflection from a guy who we sometimes forget was a bartender at a decidedly working-class establishment. Musically this experience is redeemed, while the lyrics have a distinctly existential approach.

“Best of What’s Around”

The textures of this song are porous, shimmering, inviting light into its depths. It’s got lush, full harmonic ideas, rife with substance and motion. It’s also got one of the most head-nodding, groovy backbeats in DMB’s catalogue. The vocal performance by Dave is rich, and at times even soaring.

History of the Charlottesville Dogwood Festival

Who doesn’t love a local carnival and parade? If you’ve ever spent the spring in Charlottesville, you may be familiar with The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival, either through attending it yourself or hearing it described by locals and through media coverage. This pleasant event full of diverse activities has a rich local history, dating back to 1950. This years festival will be held April 7-24th. Read on to learn more about how The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival came about, some of its important milestones, and how it has evolved through the years.

The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival is a popular two-week long springtime event and tourist attraction in Charlottesville, VA, featuring multiple festive happenings and celebrations, including the parade, fireworks, and a carnival. The festival, first carried out in 1950 as an Apple Harvest Festival, aims to exhibit the Charlottesville and Albemarle areas’ cultural and historical heritage and rich natural beauty, and succeeds in doing so to this day.

The Apple Harvest Festival in 1950 was originally held in the fall and was instituted to celebrate and draw attention to Charlottesville’s vibrant culture and booming trade, and specifically to the local apple production industry. Like the current Dogwood Festival, it involved a grand parade and carnival and the choosing and honoring of an annual festival queen. Nancy Hughes was the first Apple Harvest Queen and after her coronation a Queen’s Ball in her honor was thrown at the conclusion of the festival.

The festival’s first president, Sol Weinberg, was a prominent business leader at this time and played many roles in Charlottesville. He was born in nearby Staunton, attended UVA, served on the Charlottesville School Board, and was elected to Charlottesville City Council. He financed the first festival and was appointed mayor of Charlottesville in 1954.

Dogwood ParadeThe early years of the festival were exciting and successful. The Charlottesville Municipal Band was a staple of the early Dogwood Festival parades. The Charlottesville Municipal Band was formed in 1992 and has been performing continually ever since. You can still expect to see them at the festival. In 1951 the Belmont Bridge was closed because of the immensity of the festival parade and observers stood in the street intersections near the bridge to watch. Businesses took advantage of the massive parade crowds and both supported floats and ran advertisements on wagons in the parade. Local scouting and civil service organizations also traditionally participated in the parade. Awards were and still are given out for parade floats. In 1951 and again in 1953, a team of acrobats performing in the street without nets were a popular parade attraction. In 1956, a pet show was incorporated into the festival and sponsored by the Charlottesville Kennel Club.

In 1958 the name of the festival was changed to The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival in honor of the Virginia state tree and flower. Variations of the Virginia dogwoods (which are woody plants of the cornus species) grow widely in Eurasia, North America, and Canada. The Dogwood is also the state flower of North Carolina. Dogwoods are known for their abundance of white and pink blossoms.

Wallace McDowell was the first president of the newly named festival. Each new Dogwood Festival has a queen; originally she was a paid actress or model who was chosen from a more urban area like Washington D.C. or New York, but later in 1968 the title was instead given to a local princess. The modern festival includes both a full dogwood court and junior court of young women comprised of pageant participants from the surrounding counties, as well as the crowned queen.

E4A71888-2E66-4841-8215-8842C499CAC2The carnival was and is the widely attended centerpiece of the festivities and is held in McIntire Park. McIntire Park has been a large, popular outdoor recreation venue since the 30’s. Paul Goodloe McIntire financed the land acquisition in the 20’s. McIntire also provided land to the City of Charlottesville for Lee Park, Jackson Park, and Belmont Park. McIntire Park was designed with a rolling, pasture-style layout as well as sports fields, nature trails, playgrounds, and picnic shelters, and during the carnival, it serves as a fair ground. In 1966 the nations’ first Vietnam War Memorial was dedicated during the Dogwood Festival at McIntire Park.  The memorial features a gun, helmet, and a pair of boots, and holds a plaque that lists the names of 23 local men who gave their lives in service. It was founded by Jim Shisler and is re-dedicated yearly at the close of the festival with honorary music, the placement of 23 new flags honoring each fallen hero, a relevant speaker, and a 21-gun salute.

The popular Dogwood Track and Field Meet began the tradition of the festival’s skilled running competitions in 1966. The US Army Golden Knights Parachute team were also a big hit of the festival in the 60’s and 70’s.  Other notable highlights of the festival throughout time have been the BarBQ, Dogwood tree sale, Benefit “Breakfast in Charlottesville,” movie in the park, the flower show, and the many carnival rides loved by young and old such as the classic, colorful carousel and ferris wheel. As well as providing festivities and commerce for the local community, the festival has carried out and promoted community service through the volunteer activities of the county princesses and queen.

There are other popular dogwood festivals that occur in several cities across the US, including the annual International Dogwood Festival in Winchester (in Franklin County, Tennessee).  The Charlottesville version of the Dogwood Festival continues to thrive. Parades, carnivals, good food (including funnel cake), games, prizes and good music continue to please visitors and bring crowds of participants from near and far. For the 65th festival in 2014, hundreds attended the festival kick-off in McIntire Park. For over half a century the Charlottesville Dogwood Festival has ridden the waves of social and cultural change and continues to stand the test of time. As Elizabeth D. Wood Smith, author of The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival and member of the Dogwood Festival Board of Directors, wrote, “The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival takes pride in being a long-standing part of an area rich in tradition and heritage.”

Smith, E. D. (2005). The Charlottesville Dogwood Festival. Charleston SC: Arcadia.


How These Orange County Communities Got Their Names

With over 33,000 people, Orange County is one of the most populous counties in central Virginia (Albemarle County notwithstanding). It was officially recognized in 1734, when Spotsylvania County was divided. The county was named for Prince William III of Orange. It’s known for two very historical places, Barboursville and Montpelier, home of fourth U.S. President James Madison.

At a point, Orange spread as far west as the Mississippi River and, possibly as far north as the Great Lakes. Some historians contend that, at this time it was the biggest county in American history. The county saw limited conflict during both the American Revolution and the Civil War, though it’s purported that Confederate General Robert E. Lee took up headquarters here. After the Civil War, the agriculture-driven Orange County started to focus more on livestock and dairy operations. Virginia designated over 30,000 acres in the western parts of the county, naming it the Madison-Barbour Historic District. This district–which includes Barboursville, Montpelier, and parts of the Monticello Viticultural Area–was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.



Barboursville is on land in Albemarle County and land in Orange County. It takes its name from Barboursville, the mansion designed by Thomas Jefferson for James Barbour, the influential statesmen who eventually became Governor of Virginia. The mansion burned 62 years after it was built, in a great fire on Christmas Day. The ruins are relatively well-preserved and serve as a regular tourist attraction, due in part to Jefferson’s hand in designing the building. The land on which the ruins are situated belongs to Barboursville Vineyard, one of the most important wineries in the Monticello Viticultural Area.


Gordonsville is an actual town, rare for most of the counties in the central Virginia area. It’s named for Nathaniel Gordon, who in 1787 picked up 1,350 acres of land. The seller? People allege that he was a cousin of James Madison. At the turn of the century, Gordon got a license to open and operate a tavern where people could eat and stay the night. Like many taverns at this time, it became a crossroads of information, travel, and political discussion. Thomas Jefferson himself referred Gordon’s Tavern (later known as Gordon Inn) as a “good house” sometime circa 1802, while recommending routes that went from the central Virginia area to the newly-built Washington, D.C. It was at the intersection of two highways, one a stage coach road from Charlottesville to Fredericksburg, and one a route that led from Richmond to the Shenandoah Valley. The inn burned down in 1859, was rebuilt as the Exchange Hotel, and is now the Civil War Exchange Museum. One of our favorite places in Gordonsville is the BBQ Exchange, a restaurant with some of the best BBQ this side of the Carolinas. Every February, their seminal Porkapalooza attracts thousands of visitors.

Locust Grove

The U.S. Census has this listed as Orange County’s largest population center. It was established by Lieutenant Governor Alexander Spotswood way back in 1714 and at one point was considered the western frontier of Virginia. Spotswood built a home on part of the Rapidan called Porto Bella. The community is named for the prevalence of black locust trees in the area. The part of the Rapidan River which passes through Locust Grove was part of the Union-Confederacy frontline, and Union General Ulysses S. Grant had a headquarters around the area.


James Madison’s sprawling, 2,700-acre plantation. The precise origins of the name are uncertain, but we know Madison expressed a fondness for the word “Montpelier”, which comes from the French spelling for the term “Mount of the Pilgrim.” There’s also a French resort called Montpellier. Madison inherited the original building from his father, who built it around 1764; two stories of brick, laid in the Flemish bond pattern. It had many resources, i.e. smithy and tobacco crops. Madison was especially proud of the estate and added extensions to it throughout his life, including a Tuscan portico and single-story flat-roofed extensions to create separate living quarters. Madison died in 1836, and he is buried in the family cemetery. Montpelier was owned by the Du Pont family for most of the 20th century. In 1984, the National Trust for Historic Preservation took it over, aiming to restore/recreate the site’s 19th-century conditions, when James and Dolley Madison owned it. This is the result of a $25 million restoration effort. Montpelier is a National Historic Landmark and became an entry on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.

Montpelier Station

This small community in Orange got its name from–you guessed it–James Madison’s home. It’s about 3.5 miles from the Town of Orange. Montpelier Station is home to the Montpelier Depot, an old train depot built by the Southern Railroad Company in 1910. The depot is remarkably well-preserved and provides considerable insight regarding the use and construction of these depots. It’s very close to the main entrance of the Montpelier estate.


The Town of Orange is one of only two towns in Orange County (the other being Gordonsville). It’s the county seat of Orange County, and derives its name from the same source, Prince William III of Orange. It was an incredibly strategic location during the Civil War, given the proximity of the Rapidan River. In fact, historians contend that for a period of over two years, from March 1862 to May 1864, it was effectively the northern border of the Confederacy. Robert E Lee had his headquarters there for awhile…he’s purported to have worshipped at the St. Thomas Episcopal Church over on Caroline Street. The church is actually still standing.


Just five miles from the Town of Orange, Rapidan gets its name very obviously from the Rapidan River. Indeed, it is located on either side of the River. The Orange and Alexandria Railroad also ran through the city. The presence of both the river and the railroad meant that the community took a beating during the Civil War.


We are unable to find a historically valid etymology for the beautiful community of Somerset.  We have read that it came from the surname of one of two men: either Thomas Somerset, who landed in Virginia in 1622 or William Somerset, who settled in Virginia in 1684. It’s home to Frascati, Philip Pendleton Barbour’s Federalist-style home and estate. It was built between 1821 and 1823 by John M. Perry, celebrated for working closely with Thomas Jefferson on Monticello and the University of Virginia in nearby Albemarle County. Philip Barbour had better luck than his father James Barbour, whose nearby mansion burned on Christmas Day in 1884.

5 Reasons Living in Belmont is Amazing

BelmontBelmont is a popular Charlottesville, VA neighborhood, located right off the downtown pedestrian mall, and steeped in culture, history, beauty, and modern convenience.

Here’s a little history on the early growth of Belmont: Belmont, the neighborhood, was born when the Belmont Land Company purchased the remaining property of the late Slaughter W. Ficklin, owner of the Belle-Mont estate. James H. Buck Jr. shares in Belmont: The History of a Neighborhood that the other main influences that led to the establishment of Belmont were: “the old Three Notched or Three Chopt Road that connected Charlottesville with Richmond…the old Scottsville Road (presently Sixth Street in Charlottesville)…[and] the flourishing of railroad activity in the late 1800s.”

Through the decades Belmont evolved and grew, and with its central location and a variety of places to eat, hear music, shop, play, and live, it is truly at the heart of Charlottesville, and a beautiful place to call home. Here are 5 reasons why living in Belmont today is amazing:

1. The Plentiful Food and Drink

Belmont is full of wonderful places to eat, drink, and be merry. In downtown Belmont, the area closest to the downtown mall, restaurants, art galleries, and convenience stores are conveniently interspersed among the residential streets. Belmont offers a variety of choices, ranging from the delicious locally sourced meals available at The Local to the incredible, award-winning beer selection and organic fare at Beer Run. When you’re in Belmont, any palette or preference can be pleased somewhere nearby. Here are a few highlights in available fare:

  • Tavola Restaurant, offers upscale and exquisite Italian fare. It’s a perfect choice for an intimate and truly decadent night out (try the gnocchi!).
  • Mas, just a few doors down from Tavola, offers a fun and fresh atmosphere serving an inspired (and ever changing) tapas menu.
  • Lampo, a small and intimate space serving delicious wood-fired pizzas and other locally sourced entrees.  Best part is the pizza scissors to cut your own slice!
  • Spudnuts was opened in 1969 by Richard Wingfield. His daughter, Lori, runs it today and continues to keep Charlottesville residents happy with their fabulous potato based donuts. If you’ve never had a spudnut, you really must try a classic glazed spudnut as well as the blueberry cake variety. They often sell out by noon so plan on a morning visit.

2. Proximity to Downtown Charlottesville and Music Venues

  • The Pavilion: This large venue adjacent to the Belmont Bridge brings nationally and even internationally known and celebrated musical artists of every genre to Charlottesville. This outdoor arena with both a covered and grassy area also hosts the free weekly concert series, Fridays after 5, from April to September.
  • The Jefferson Theater, built in 1912 and renovated in 2006, is a historic, indoor theatre on the downtown mall that currently thrives as a popular music venue.
  • The Paramount Theater, originally built in 1931 as a movie theatre, was fully renovated in 2004 and now is a successful community performing arts venue. In 2015 they even re-illuminated their historic, massive blade sign with retro blinking lights.
  • The Restaurants and Shops Downtown range from hotdog stands, an elegant movie theatre with a built in restaurant (The Violet Crown) to a selection of award winning international cuisine. Also keep in mind a visit to the Virginia Discovery Museum, the various art galleries, and The McGuffey Art Center.

3. The Views

  • The Views from Belmont Park: This hilltop park, completed in 1915, offers 360 degree panoramic views of Charlottesville and the Blue Bridge Mountains to the west. With benches, a picnic shelter, playground, basketball court, and water play area, it’s a peaceful and fun place for community members to gather.
  • The Views from the Belmont Bridge: The current version of the Belmont Bridge was built in 1961 to connect Ninth St. and Avon St. Belmont residents enjoy crossing this bridge by car or foot to easily reach downtown. When you walk over the bridge, I highly recommend pausing as the bridge goes over the train tracks; you will see a unique view of Charlottesville’s downtown stretching before you that is particularly charming at sunset.
  • The Belmont neighborhood also went through a beautification between 1996 and 1999, which entailed the addition of new paved crosswalks, trees, and planters throughout downtown Belmont.

4. The Art and Culture

Belmont, like Charlottesville as a whole, blooms with culture and artistic expression.

  • The Bridge PAI (progressive arts initiative) is a local gallery and community organization that focuses on authentic art projects that include, invigorate, and express the local community. This art center is located next to the Belmont Bridge (across from Spudnuts).
  • The nearby IX Art Park on 2nd St. offers outdoor food truck catered concerts, art openings, flea markets, drawing parties, and a variety of other fun activities for young and old.
  • The Innovative Tom Tom Festival’s Belmont Block party is a free yearly celebration that brings the neighborhood together for music, food, and even collaborative street art.

5. Convenience and Accessibility

While Belmont is an active, engaging, and fulfilling place to live all on its own, it also offers convenient access to other popular and useful parts of town. These include:

  • Pantops, an area offering additional shopping and eating options, accessible via High St. and Route 250.
  • Interstate 64, which links to Richmond, Waynesboro, and beyond, via Monticello Ave. or 5th Street.
  • Scottsville, a lovely small town to the south along the James River, well worth a visit, accessible via Route 20.
  • UVA, the acclaimed educational institution and cultural center designed by Thomas Jefferson, reachable from Belmont via Cherry Ave.

Belmont offers its community members enjoyable activities, charming residential neighborhoods, and convenience. It is located near the intersections of several major travel routes yet remains local, welcoming, and friendly. It is an amazing place to live for the reasons listed above, and offers unique access to many of Charlottesville’s cultural delights.

Buck, James H., Jr. “Belmont: The History of a Neighborhood.” Web. 7 Mar. 2016. Published May, 1980 in Charlottesville, VA

Historic Homes in Virginia

As the first of England’s colonies in the world, the state of Virginia essentially represents the beginning of the British Empire, and its legacy is consequently inextricable from that of the early United States. As such, it is home to a number of historical sites that represent British imperialism, American independence, and so much more.

Jeffersonian Architecture


Thomas Jefferson was America’s first Secretary of State, Virginia’s second governor, and the third President of the United States. He was a voracious reader, elite musician, legendary statesmen, and overall polymath. As such, it is difficult to overstate his influence in a number of areas, not least architecture. His architectural sensibilities were derived in large part from the work of Venetian architect Andrea Palladio, who himself drew from a variety of Hellenistic influences. The symmetry and perspective of Ancient Greek and Roman buildings inspired Palladio’s approach to architecture, and as such, buildings designed by Jefferson retain certain core values…certain ideas inherited from Ancient Greek and Roman temples. This structural approach, this Neoclassical interpretation can be seen in a variety of buildings around Virginia, most notably Jefferson’s plantation Monticello and the Rotunda at his University of Virginia. Jefferson helped conceive the original design for the Virginia State House.

Jefferson designed/influenced several other buildings, for example, Poplar Forest, located very close to Lynchburg….they say he built it as a refuge from the hordes of admirers that flocked to Monticello. Like much of Palladio’s work, it is an octagon house, built on an estate of about 4,800 acres. This architectural tradition prizes symmetry, so there is a cube room in the center (20 ft. to a side, so 400 square feet), and porticos off to each side. It received National Historic Landmark status in 1970. There are many other central Virginia sites that serve to illustrate the state’s rich history:

Oak Grove

Oak Grove was once part of the vast Mount Airy plantation on the James River, and was occupied by Union General Sheridan’s troops in the Civil War. Built about 1854, Oak Grove is today a tasteful composite of vintage quality and modern comfort, with the original brick home in front, a three-story addition in back. It’s a three bay, two-story house, conceived in the Greek Revival style with front porch Doric columns. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.

Ash Lawn-Highland, the old home of fifth President of the United States is in Albemarle County. He and his family lived there for 24 years, eventually selling the plantation in 1825. He was inspired by Monticello, which is very close by. The estate changed hands a few times until it was sold for the last time in the 1930s. When the owner died, he willed it to the College of William and Mary, Monroe’s alma mater. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

The Faulkner House, which houses the Miller Center for Public Affairs and is also known as Old Ivy Inn, Seymour (and various others), was named in honor of novelist William Faulkner who taught at UVa. Built between 1855 and 1856 and remodeled in the early 20th century in the Colonial Revival style, it was influenced in part by Jeffersonian architectural inclinations. Originally a two-story brick building with hipped roof. Temporary headquarters for Union General Thomas Devin. On Old Ivy Road. It was bought by UVa in 1963 and added to the NHRP in 1984.

Farmington is a country club near UVa, in Charlottesville. It was designed and built before the 19th century, but in 1803, Thomas Jefferson added an east wing, later dubbed “the Jefferson room.” It features trademark Jeffersonian concepts, most notably the octagonal structure. It was  added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

Bellair Farm is an 853-acre farm south of Charlottesville, on land near the North Garden area. It’s been an important part of Albemarle County’s history since it first started operations in the 17th century. The main house was built in the late 19th/early 20th century by Reverend Charles Wingfield, Jr. So great was Wingfield’s reputation that Jefferson personally asked him to officiate the funeral of his sister. Further structural additions were made to the main house in the Colonial Revival style (including some Palladian windows). The house overlooks the Hardware River and the Green Mountains, a beautiful sight. The farm is still in operation today, and its owner Ms. Cynnie Davis is an outspoken proponent of community-supported agriculture. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.

Michie Tavern was originally on land in Earlysville, Virginia, just north of Charlottesville. It was built in 1784 by Scotsman Willie Michie and remained in the family until the early 20th century. The tavern was a community meeting place, popular among travelers. It was added to the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1993 and the NRHP in 1986, though it’s since been withdrawn from the latter.

McCormick Observatory was a donation to UVa from Leander McCormick, whose family invented and patented the mechanical reaper. In 1878, McCormick donated the telescope (at the time the equal largest telescope in the country) and funds to build a 45-foot dome. It’s just outside Charlottesville, in Albemarle County on the summit of Mt. Jefferson (also known as Observatory Hill). Joined the ranks of the NRHP in 2004 and was soon upgraded from state to national significance.

Cobham Park

Cobham Park is one of many historic estates in Keswick, just east of Charlottesville. The estate’s mansion was built in 1856, and unlike many of the surrounding buildings of similar historical stature, it was built in the Georgian style, with Doric porches supported by Ionic columns. It’s a five bay, two-and-a-half story building with a hipped roof. It was added to the NHRP in 1974.

Nelson County, in the Greater Charlottesville area, is also rife with historical significance. It’s known for its snow resort Wintergreen, a plethora of successful vineyards, craft breweries, the Lockn’ Music Festival, and many testaments to its natural beauty including part of the George Washington National Forest. It’s also home to:

Swannanoa is Virginia’s answer to the Taj Mahal, a luxurious, ornate manifestation of love. The difference is that when philanthropist James H. Dooley built it, his wife was still alive. Tiffany windows, Georgian marble, gold plumbing fixtures, and 300 artisans working for over eight years…we’d say that Swannanoa is worth a look. It sits on 590 acres of land in Nelson/Augusta Counties, but it’s partially modeled after buildings in the Villa Medici, in Rome. Calvin Coolidge famously ate Thanksgiving dinner here. Anyone can arrange for a tour of the estate…check the events calendar at NHRP in 1969.

Nelson County’s Courthouse, opened in 1810 and has been the judicial center of Lovingston, VA ever since. This two-story building was built just two or three years after the town itself was established. For years, rumor had it that Jefferson designed the building, but this myth was dispelled by an architectural survey as part of the county’s bid for National Historic Register designation. However, it was discovered that Jefferson had designed a jail, which is now the present-day Sheriff’s Office. Many 18-22-year-olds in central Virginia view it as a smaller, more efficient version of his most famous jailhouse, the University of Virginia…but only during Exams Week. The courthouse was listed on the NHRP in 1973.

Bon Aire is yet another historic home in Nelson, located in the city of Shipman. It was built in the Federal style and as such is characterized by the simple, relatively unadorned surfaces and smooth facades of early U.S. buildings whose architects were influenced by the Roman aesthetics very much in vogue after the ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum were discovered. It was built in 1812 on a steep hill overlooking the James River. It was added to the NHRP in 1980.

Orange County was founded in 1734, over forty years before the Declaration of Independence was even a gleam in young Jefferson’s eye! It’s best known as the home of fourth President of the United States, James Madison.

Montpelier. We may as well start with James Madison’s sprawling, 2,700-acre plantation. Madison inherited the original building from his father, who built it around 1764; two stories of brick, laid in the Flemish bond pattern. It had many resources, i.e. smithy and tobacco crops. Madison was especially proud of the estate and added extensions to it throughout his life, including a Tuscan portico and single-story flat-roofed extensions to create separate living quarters. Madison died in 1836, and he is still buried in the family cemetery. Montpelier was owned by the Du Pont family for most of the 20th century. In 1984, the National Trust for Historic Preservation took over, aiming to restore/recreate the site’s 19th-century conditions, when James and Dolley Madison owned it. This is the result of a $25 million restoration effort. Montpelier is a National Historic Landmark and became an entry on the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.

Barboursville (also known as the Barboursville Ruins), is famous for being the only building in Orange County designed by Thomas Jefferson himself. There are hallmarks of his Palladian instincts, as they were quite fashionable at the time (1822). The house had eight huge rooms, including an octagonal drawing room reminiscent of Monticello. He envisioned a projecting Doric tetrastyle portico which covered a recessed front wall at the entry hall. Ol’ TJ had designed it for his friend James Barbour, a famous former Senator, Secretary of War, and VA Governor who had ostensibly planned to live in the mansion for the rest of his days. Unfortunately, the entire estate burned in a fire on Christmas Day in 1824. Everything except for the exterior walls, some partitions, and the portico columns was consumed in the blaze. Now the ruins are part of the property owned by Barboursville Vineyards, and you can see the old mansion from the vineyards. Barboursville Vineyards is widely considered the poster-child for Virginia’s burgeoning viticultural reputation. The terroir in the Piedmont region is similar to places in southern Italy, but Gianni Zonin (the resident winemaker) is so far the only person to successfully plant the common grape vine in central VA since Jefferson famously failed years ago. NHRP in 1969, due in large part to Jefferson’s role in designing the ruin.

Grelen is one of the youngest buildings in the area to be considered a National Historic Place (1998). The five bay, two-and-a-half story building was built between 1935 and 1936 in the Georgian style. It’s topped by a hipped roof made of slate and flanked by one-and-a-half story wings (also brick).

The centuries before this digital age, were not as kind to mankind’s memory. Landmarks and historic sites were more than a few clicks away; they could be miles, sometimes oceans removed from your perspective. For many, these ornate monuments bridged a gap in America’s collective unconscious, provided a tangible link between the struggles and triumphs of a young nation and the distant legends of antiquity. A journey across the Atlantic to see the hallowed relics of Greek and Roman societies is not necessarily a viable option for everyone in today’s America; so one can imagine the significance of buildings in which the spirit, tradition, and aesthetic of antiquity are preserved imparted. These larger-than-life buildings were and are mirrors to the past; more so than any film or photograph could ever be. This is only the surface of Virginia’s rich history. If you’re interested in living a part of this history, visit or contact Gayle Harvey Real Estate today!

The Nomenclature of some Central Virginia Towns

Gayle Harvey Real Estate knows the local market, right down to the etymologies of the towns in the Greater Charlottesville area. With a little help from Jean L. Cooper’s A Guide to Historic Charlottesville and Albemarle County, we’ve compiled naming histories for the cities, towns, and unincorporated communities that call central Virginia home. Take a look!

Barracks Road Charlottesville VirginiaBarracks

As we wrote in this blog, the Barracks area was once a military barracks used to house soldiers during the American Revolution. Thomas Jefferson himself was in charge of the operation, which brought a great deal of revenue from 4,000-odd British and Hessian prisoners. Many of them liked the area so much that they stayed, building homes, lives, and families!


The Plank Road area south of Charlottesville leads to Batesville. Originally called Oliver’s Store and then renamed Mount Israel by 1829, the town was finally renamed in honor of the Bates’ an influential family in the area. One source claims that Mr. Bates owned a blacksmith shop. It was settled in the 1730s, making it older than Albemarle itself.


This small community is comprised primarily of agricultural farmsteads. It was established in the 1740s by German and Scotch-Irish immigrants seeking religious freedom. A group of Presbyterians founded the town along Rich Cove, a valley in Charlottesville near Cove Creek.

Crozet Library
Crozet Library


Crozet-a census-designated place in Albemarle County-is quickly becoming one of the most popular locations in the Greater Charlottesville area. In 1870, its citizens changed the name of the village from Wayland’s Crossing to Crozet, in honor of Colonel Claudius Crozet. Crozet was a French-born teacher and civil engineer who was instrumental in the construction of the Blue Ridge Tunnel in the 1850s.


Just north of Charlottesville, this small unincorporated community was named for John Early, who settled down with just under 1,000 acres in the general area.


Esmont is a small community on rich, fertile land in Albemarle County. When we say small, we mean…less than 600 people. It was named for the Esmont plantation which was an economic driver early in the town’s history.

Free Union

A census-designated place on Albemarle County land, Free Union was originally called Nicksville, after a freed slave named Nick who opened a blacksmith’s shop in the center of town in the 19th century. To avoid confusion with the town of Nixville, the village changed its name to Free Union, after its Free Union Church. The church was “free” because all races could worship there, and it was a “union” of four Christian denominations, none of which could afford a church of their own.


This settlement (originally called Howard’s Landing) was established by planters in the 1730s and 40s, on the northern bank of the James River at the point where it is joined by the Rockfish River. This means that, along with Scottsville, it was one of the founding communities in Albemarle County, predating the foundation of the county itself. The name was changed to Howardsville, but both names are a nod to Allen Howard, one of the original settlement’s principal founders.


This crossroad community was probably founded by the Lewis and Woods families in the 1740s along the well-traveled Three Notched Road. That’s Lewis as in Meriwether Lewis, one half of the famous Lewis and Clark expedition. Present-day Ivy was originally called Woodville; then Woodville Depot after the arrival of the railroad in 1851; then Ivy Depot (after Ivy Creek, which flowed through the settlement); and finally Ivy.


Keswick was technically “founded” in 1849 when the Virginia Central Railroad connected the cities of Charlottesville and Gordonsville. “Keswick” was the name of the estate that was intersected by the line, a piece of property belonging to the Reverend Thornton Rogers on land that may have been a part of Peter Jefferson’s original Shadwell holdings.

How These Fluvanna Communities Got Their Names

Fluvanna County Courthouse
Fluvanna County Courthouse

Fluvanna County is east of Charlottesville land, with a county of over 25,000 people. It’s conveniently located between Cville and Richmond, two distinct hubs of culture and commerce. Present day Fluvanna’s land was part of Henrico County. In 1727, Henrico split and the land became part of Goochland. It was then passed on to Albemarle County in the wake of another split, and finally became Fluvanna County in 1777 during a pivotal time in U.S. history, just a year after the ratification of the Declaration of Independence. “Fluvanna” is the name given to the James River once it’s west of the city Columbia. It means “Anne’s River”; its namesake is Queen Anne of England. The Rivanna River also flows through the county. Here’s a little bit about some of Fluvanna’s communities.

Bremo Bluff

Sitting on the northern bank of the James River, Bremo Bluff was established by the Cocke family all the way back in 1636! At least, that’s when Richard Cocke received a land patent for 3,000 acres along the James. He named it Bremo Bluff in honor of Braemore, the family’s historical home in the United Kingdom. Confederate General Robert E. Lee visited the community during the Civil War; his wife Mary Custis Lee would stay there occasionally, eager to leave the stressful environment of wartime Richmond.


At one time it was the last independent town entirely on Fluvanna County land. Columbia dates back to at least 1788, when it was a stagecoach road situated between the cities of Staunton and Richmond. It’s at the confluence of the Rivanna and the James Rivers. Once called Point of Fork, it was the site of a small battle during the Revolutionary War. It was an incorporated community with a mayor until 2015, when it was deincorporated and reabsorbed by Fluvanna County.

Fork Union

Although Columbia is closer to the titular fork, the name of this town is likely a reference to the point at which the Rivanna and the James meet. It’s known for having the only Presbyterian congregation in Fluvanna, and one of the last remaining drive-in theaters in the entire state. It’s also home to Fork Union Military Academy, a private, all-male military boarding school with Baptist affiliation.

Kents Store

We can’t say for sure, but if we had to guess…there was a guy named Kent. He probably owned a store.

Lake Monticello

This is by far the most populous locale in Fluvanna County, with a population of over 9,000. It’s essentially a commuter town for the nearby city of Charlottesville on land 15 miles southeast of the hub. To a lesser extent, it serves the same purpose for Richmond. There’s also a significant part of the population that is retirement age. It’s centered on a lake of the same name.


On the eastern bank of the Rivanna, Fluvanna’s county seat is Palmyra. Its population was only 104 in the 2010 census, but its postal area, the “Greater Palmyra area” is much more populous as it includes the Lake Monticello community. Palmyra was once owned by the Timberlake family. In 1814, Rev. Timberlake had a five-story brick grist mill built, and he it called Palmyra Mills, hence the name. The mill was burned by Union troops in 1865. The Timberlake family and their relatives the Shepard family owned all but four acres of Palmyra until 1854. They leased the 41 other residences, and only they were allowed to own property in a bizarre, quasi-feudal experiment.

James River
James River


Last but definitely not least is Scottsville, the only independent town in Fluvanna. Technically, Scottsville is on land in Fluvanna County and on land in Albemarle County. Early on, in the 18th century it was the westernmost extension of Virginia trade and government, situated on the James River at a point when rivers were the most efficient way to travel long distances. It was originally called Scott’s Landing, and we can only assume someone named Scott landed, or something. Scottsville was very much in the mix when it came to culture and commerce in central Virginia after the Civil War; lots of money from the Shenandoah Valley was coming in, because of a wagon road which linked the town Staunton, and because of its prime location just 19 miles south of Charlottesville land. At one point it was the largest grain market in the state of Virginia. Its proximity to the James is both a blessing and a curse: Scottsville has flooded 21 times since 1870!

How These Six Nelson County Towns Got Their Names

Nelson County Courthouse

Nelson County makes its home in the Greater Charlottesville area, which means it has access to most of Cville’s metropolitan pursuits, including big-ticket sporting events, world class food, state-of-the-art movie theatres, and high profile concerts. But you won’t need it, because this almost 500 sq mi of land southwest of Albemarle County is one of the most beautiful places in America, with some truly awe-inspiring, unencumbered views of the vast and mighty Blue Ridge Mountains. Nelson County was founded over 200 years ago, in 1807. It was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., a Founding Father, member of the Continental Congress, governor of Virginia, and founder of the Declaration of Independence. Technically there are no cities or incorporated towns in Nelson, only unincorporated communities. We’ll tell you about some of them here, and explain the stories behind their names.


Afton is a beautiful stretch of land on the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Its history likely dates back to the 19th century, when Claudius Crozet (namesake of the central Virginia town) built a series of tunnels to get a railroad line through the Blue Ridge Mountains at Rockfish Gap. The largest of these tunnels was the 4,723 foot long Blue Ridge Tunnel, an engineering marvel that was the longest tunnel in America at the time. Afton is very near the east end of that tunnel, and local legend holds that Crozet himself suggested the name to railroad officials, probably getting inspiration from Little Afton, a stream in his home of Brooksville. Blue Mountain Brewery is one of Afton’s mainstays, a testament to homegrown, local food and drink, and an example of Charlottesville’s farm-to-table aesthetic at work.


This small community is probably most celebrated for hosting the Lockn’ Music Festival every fall on the Oak Ridge estate. Its etymology was a little tough to pin down, but we have a pretty good guess: There appear to have been several people named Arrington in Virginia in the 18th century, many of whom lived and died in Campbell, VA (on Albemarle County land). Perhaps the name of this small village has something to do with them.


Founded in 1807 along with Nelson itself, this community of just over 500 people
has been the county seat since 1809, when the courthouse was built. By the way, that courthouse is still in use today, and its original jailhouse was designed by Thomas Jefferson himself. A 30-acre piece of land was given to the Lovings, an influential family in the area; in turn they gave their name to the community.

Massie’s Mill

Likely named for Revolutionary War Veteran Thomas Massie or one of his descendants, possibly William Massie, whose well-preserved personal letters are the subject of much historical inquiry. Thomas Massie moved to Nelson County in the early 19th century, and his records indicate he “held sway over a diversified system of grain milling and plantation operations that grew into a substantial operation under the management of William Massie” (Stampp 2). It was at ground zero for the devastating Hurricane Camille, considered one of the worst natural disasters to hit the Commonwealth. All of Nelson County was affected, but Massie’s Mill was among the most affected communities.



The Wintergreen Resort on the eastern slopes of the Blue Ridge Mountains makes its home in Nelson County, in this community. The legend goes that a woman named Nelly drowned trying to cross (or “ford”) a stream somewhere in the Rockfish Valley area. Now it’s home to some of the more popular breweries in central Virginia; Bold Rock Hard Cider, Devils Backbone, and Wild Wolf Brewery.


Originally called Walker’s Mill, the little village was renamed Schuyler in 1882; both names were in honor of Schuyler George Walker, a miller and the town’s first postmaster. Towards the end of the 19th century, Schuyler was known for its stone cutting plant, which milled soapstone from nearby quarries on behalf of the Alberene Stone Company. It was hit by the Great Depression and this industry was decimated. This is also the birthplace of Earl Hammer, Jr. a writer who based the CBS television show The Waltons on his experiences growing up in Depression-era Schuyler.

Works Cited

Stampp, Kenneth M., ed. “Records of Ante-Bellum Southern Plantations from the Revolution through the Civil War.” The Journal of American History Series G: Selections from the Barker Texas History Center, University of Texas at Austin, Part II 76.4 (1990): 1342. University Publications of America. Web.

Barracks Road in Charlottesville VA

Barracks Road Charlottesville VirginiaAlbemarle Barracks: A Piece of the Revolution Lives in Charlottesville 

Ever wonder how Barracks Road got it’s name? Now home to grocery stores, restaurants, and houses, the area was once home to an army barracks. It used to house prisoners of war during the American Revolution. British General John Burgoyne suffered a decisive defeat at the hands of American soldiers in the Battle of Saratoga (1777). In the aftermath of the battle, the colonies took 4,000 prisoners (2,000 British soldiers, 1,900 Hessian (German mercenary) soldiers and 300 women and children.) The original plan was to house them in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but the Continental Congress decided to send them south instead. One of the Congressmen, Colonel John Harvie/Harvey had property in Albemarle County, on land north of Charlottesville, and he offered it up.

In Flight from Monticello: Thomas Jefferson at War, author Michael Kranish writes about the barracks in some detail. Thomas Jefferson believed that the influx of these soldiers would bolster the city’s economy, and he had high hopes for the cultural offerings of the British and Hessian officers. In addition to a great many talents, Jefferson was an avid violinist, and in the prisoners, he hoped to find some musical peers. Despite good intentions, the encampment was ill-equipped to handle 4,000 new people. Morale was already low among the prisoners after a long, exhausting journey south, and seeing the condition of the barracks didn’t help. However, the British and Hessian soldiers made a home in Charlottesville, fixing up the embankment, raising livestock, building a store, a cafe, bar, church, and even a theater! They essentially assimilated to the idyllic nature of life in Charlottesville.

In the Hessians, Jefferson finally found musicians with whom he could play. He also formed friendships with the German Baron Frederick von Riedesel and British General William Phillips, commanding officers of the defeated troops. And he estimated that the city was generating the modern-day equivalent of $300,000 a week because the prisoners were being housed in Charlottesville. However the embankment was not well-equipped. Most of the improvements were made by the prisoners themselves, and they had no real incentive to make the place secure. They were treated well by Jefferson and his men, but the barracks were infamous for allowing prisoners to escape. Prisoners were even allowed to go into the city, developing a familiarity with the surroundings that could have been advantageous in a British attack on the city. Eventually Jefferson received an angry correspondence from General George Washington, who claimed that several British and Hessian soldiers were simply walking around the streets unguarded, making themselves at home in Charlottesville. Many Hessian soldiers simply left the embankment, found American jobs and wives, and settled down. In 1779, Jefferson had become governor of Virginia, and so Washington held him directly responsible. Eventually General Phillips and Baron von Frederick were exchanged for two American officers. The following year, Jefferson closed the barracks. The remaining prisoners were sent north to Frederick Maryland, or Winchester.  In 1781, Phillips returned to Virginia with the traitor Benedict Arnold to capture Jefferson. TJ narrowly escaped Richmond as it burned. 
Today, the original site of the barracks is located on private property north of Charlottesville. It’s recognized by a Virginia state historical marker. In 1983, the Albemarle County Historical Society built a plaque commemorating the barracks. To see the marker, head west of town on Barracks Road to Barracks Farm Road. The marker is a little north of Ivy Farm Drive.